International education providers, are you across the new compliance requirements?
New legislative instruments have been released under the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 with which International education providers must comply to maintain their registration to:
- provide education to overseas students – National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (The National Code 2018)
- provide English language courses to international students – ELICOS Standards 2018
The National Code 2018
Key changes to the National Code relate to:
- Improving transparency of written agreements (Standard 3).
- Strengthening the welfare of younger overseas students (Standard 5).
- Providing greater guidance for providers in assessing overseas student transfers (Standard 7).
- Strengthening overseas student visa requirements and increasing online learning (Standard 8).
Which version of the National Code will my application for registration or renewal be assessed against?
- Applications for registration or renewal of registration submitted by providers on or before 31 December 2017 will be assessed under the National Code 2017.
- Applications for registration or renewal of registration submitted by providers on or from 1 January 2018 will be assessed under the National Code 2018.
The National Code 2018 will commence on January 1st 2018. Ensure your policies and procedures are compliant with the new code. Read more here.
ELICOS Standards 2018
The main change amends the definition of an ELICOS course to bring all intensive English language courses registered on CRICOS within the scope of the ELICOS Standards. The ELICOS Standards will apply to providers who deliver courses which are solely or predominantly of English language instruction to student visa holders in Australia, including vocational education and training (VET) English courses. This will particularly affect those delivering Certificate I through to Certificate IV in EAL Framework to overseas students.
The ELICOS Standards 2018 will apply to new and existing providers from 1 January 2018, and to transitioning providers from 1 March 2018. Transitioning providers means those providers for whom the ELICOS Standards did not apply prior to 1st January 2018. Read more here.